The world is changing.
Today’s eSourcing Wiki-Wednesday topic is Aligning SPM to your Firm's Goals.
The esourcing wiki articles are focusing on Supplier Management. With good reason – it is becoming more and more important to make sure this activity is part of the process with your procurement team.
This article from HRteam.com makes the point of how things have changed. Individuals are no longer just managing an internal team but often very complex external team members as well. They could be suppliers or outsourced functions being performed by service providers.
This discussion focuses on FAQ’s but more importantly what skills do your associates need in order to perform this function well. Do they need training and how do they get that? Here are some common concerns for your team:
- How do I get share of mind? We are not their only customers.
- How do I make sure that they deliver against the standards that are agreed?
- What happens if they do not perform against the KPIs? How do I escalate the issue?
- We do not want to get to the point of waving a piece of paper, shouting "breach of contract"
- How much time do I need to spend measuring their performance?
- How do I make supplier reviews an effective forum?
- How much time do I invest in developing the relationship?
- Do I want a supplier or a partner relationship?
- They are critical to our business, who has got the greatest leverage?
The message here is to make sure your staff has the proper tools in the toolkit to build the relationship to become a true collaborative partnership.
Have you found any training materials that are helpful for Supplier Management? What was the most useful tool and what would you recommend?