(5/8/2014) The April ISM-NY Report on Business... in 30 seconds, 60 seconds, or 2 minutes
The ISM-New York Report on Business is released on the second business day of each month at 9:45 AM Eastern. Buyers Meeting Point has been following the ISM reports on business for a while now, helping you apply information from the indexes (which is collected from procurement professionals) to your own work. If you have never read the report, it can take some adjustment. We boil each report down to the most basic and usable components. The most important thing to keep in mind when reading this report is that no one number represents the findings of the report; each piece of data only has value when considered as part of a trend - relative to the month(s) or year before.
The full April ISM-NY Report on Business is available on ISM New York's site as a download.
Note: A reading of 50% means no change from the prior month, greater than 50% indicates a faster pace of activity, and less than 50% a slower rate.
If you only have 30 seconds, here is what you should know about this month’s report:
The Current Business Conditions index came in at 50.6, the slowest rate of expansion since June 2013. Business activity in New York City has now eased for the third straight month.
If you have 60 seconds, here is a little more:
- Future optimism fell to a five-year low of 58.8.
- Employment fell to a two and a half year low of 43.1, of greater interest because it is only two months removed from a record high.
- Quantity of Purchases fell to 41.7 (below the 50.0 breakeven point) and Prices Paid came in at 57.7.
If you have 2 whole minutes to give:
The detailed coverage of business constraints in the Report on Business includes the following:
- The total swing from greatest opportunity (Management Skills) to greatest impediment (Cost of benefits) remaind the same as it was last month.
- There are sixteen impediments above the breakeven point, and eight opportunities.
- Competition moved up twenty one positions as an increasing impediment after being last month's most positive improvement, and Raw materials fell eight positions to become this month's only opportunity neutral factor.