(7/8/2014) The June ISM-NY Report on Business... in 30 seconds, 60 seconds, or 2 minutes
The ISM-New York Report on Business is released on the second business day of each month at 9:45 AM Eastern. Buyers Meeting Point has been following the ISM reports on business for a while now, helping you apply information from the indexes (which is collected from procurement professionals) to your own work. If you have never read the report, it can take some adjustment. We boil each report down to the most basic and usable components. The most important thing to keep in mind when reading this report is that no one number represents the findings of the report; each piece of data only has value when considered as part of a trend - relative to the month(s) or year before.
The full June ISM-NY Report on Business is available on ISM New York's site as a download.
Note: A reading of 50% means no change from the prior month, greater than 50% indicates a faster pace of activity, and less than 50% a slower rate.
If you only have 30 seconds, here is what you should know about this month’s report:
The Current Business Conditions index came in at 60.5, the highest level (most expansion) since January.
If you have 60 seconds, here is a little more:
- Future optimism fell from last month's three-month high, but stayed in solid territory at 68.0.
- After a neutral reading in April, job growth improved modestly to 51.0.
- Quantity of Purchases slowed to 56.3, while Prices paid rose slightly to 58.7.
If you have 2 whole minutes to give:
The detailed coverage of business constraints in the Report on Business includes the following:
- The total swing from greatest opportunity (Foreign Demand) to greatest impediment (Cost of benefits) expanded to 90. Most of the movement was into opportunity territory.
- There are ten impediments above the breakeven point, two neutral, and thirteen opportunities.
- Project distribution moved up nine positions as an increasing impediment. Regulation fell ten positions, just enough to move into opportunity territory.